My name is Randolph West, and I am an actor, filmmaker, musician, author, and technologist based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
This is an incomplete list of things I’ve done for the camera:
- 2018 – The Nandi Bear Tenants (Voice)
- 2017 – Fargo (Season 3) (Television)
- 2016 – Night of the Shadow People (Feature Film)
- 2016 – Day Job (Teaser Trailer)
- 2015 – Sancha’s Cause (Is Coming To Town) (Short Film)
- 2015 – The Winner (Short Film)
- 2015 – Imitative Magic (Feature Film)
I’m an independent technology consultant, specialising in the Microsoft Data Platform with a focus on performance tuning, disaster recovery best practices, and data recovery. I have written some free stuff that you can see on my consulting website at Born SQL.
I sit on the boards of several companies in Canada and South Africa, designing and building systems for companies you’ve never heard of.
If you need technical documentation written, you can hire me.
I have co-authored two books so far, and working on a third. I have also contributed to numerous publications over the years.
- Stories From The Trenches: Volume 2 from the Let Them Finish series
- SQL Server 2017 Administration Inside Out (Microsoft Press)
I love music of almost all genres, and I’ve often been heard saying there are at least two songs from any popular performer that I like.
Between 2016 and 2018 I started playing with Garage Band loops, and eventually composed some tracks that are available on SoundCloud. I’d personally classify these under Electronic Dance Music (EDM), but there are trance, house, and other influences in there.
In the 1990s, people visited this site for my Humour page. For a while I was known for a Windows-based application called ShutOff 2000. I also created South Africa’s first short URL generator, several months before Twitter was invented.